How many different models of the iPhone were announced?
Three different models of the iPhone are launching this year. The iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are both traditional iPhone models, continuing in the line of the iPhone 7 and 7 plus. In other words, compared to the iPhone X, there isn’t anything much to offer. These phones still have huge ugly bezels, which is surprising to see in a phone in 2017. It has all the expected upgrades like the new A11 Bionic processor and a new camera.
The iPhone X is a different type of iPhone this year. This 10-year anniversary special iPhone is all-screen and completely casts a shadow over the iPhone 8.
Let’s check out all the different new features (and some even old) of the new iPhones.
How much will the new iPhone cost?
Each model of the iPhone was announced with two variants, a 64 GB model, and a 256 GB model.
- The iPhone 8 will start from $699.
- The iPhone 8 Plus will start from $799.
- The most expensive iPhone ever made, the iPhone X will start from $999.
What are the different available iPhone colors?
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus will be released in 3 colors.
- Space Gray
- A new Gold finish
The iPhone X will be released in 2 color variants.
- Space Gray
What are the new features in the new iPhones?
The iPhone is always the most awaited phone every year but it almost always has the same features as the previous model. For Apple’s 10 year anniversary, a lot of things were rumored and expectations were high. Here’s everything we know about the iPhone from this event.
New features on the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- Wireless Charging – The new iPhone 8 sports an all glass body with a strong reinforced steel framework. The bands on the iPhone are made up of stainless steel. The main reason to move to an all glass body was to introduce wireless charging in the new iPhone models. Finally! It is most likely that the fast charging pad won’t be included in the box and you’ll have to pay extra for it after you have purchased the new iPhone. There isn’t any backward compatibility, so any previous models won’t get charged by the wireless pad.
- Water and Dust Resistant – Like the last year’s model, this model remains to be water and dust resistant at a microscopic level.
- HD Display – The 8 and 8 Plus will both have a 4.7″ and 5.5″ Retina HD screen. The resolution will be better than last years models, but it’s still not 4K.
- New 6 core Processor – Like all previous models, the processor has been upgraded. But this doesn’t actually count as a new feature because let’s face it, Apple has always been good with what happens behind the screen (except maybe the battery life). So we don’t really need to dwell into what’s happening behind the screen.
- Camera – The Camera is the real winner of the iPhone 8. With a new Apple designed GPU, the camera autofocuses faster than ever before. You’ll be able to shoot 4K videos in 60 fps and for the first time ever you’ll be able to shoot full HD 1080p videos in 240 fps on an iPhone.
Another great feature in the iPhone’s camera is the introduction of Augmented Reality. The hardware and software are really integrated for Augmented Reality on the iPhone. The three applications shown to us were as follows:
– You can play games in Augmented Reality in real-time in your environment. The processor can easily process that much power.
– At matches and games, you can see which player is who by just pointing your camera at the screen. This will be available only in high profile games at first and then will be made available to all the sports community gradually.
– Pointing at the sky will show you all the constellations on your iPhone. That’s impressive.
New features on the iPhone X
This is the real iPhone. The iPhone 8 looks more like a marketing gimmick to increase the sales of the flagship iPhone. iPhone X too sports an all glass body. Other than the touch ID and the home button, all features of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus will be available on the iPhone X. Other than that, it also has some features unique from the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
- Super Retina Display. The iPhone X has a screen bigger than the 8 Plus. It spans 5.8″ diagonally. The resolution size is 2436 x 1125, which is odd. It’s a little higher than 2K, which stands at 2048 x 1080. The screen is also 458 PPI, which is again higher than any other models of the iPhone before. The screen for the first time uses OLED technology, which is great because it consumes lesser power and offers more to the iPhone.
- No Home Button. Apple has truly gone with an all screen display by removing the home button. However, almost all functions can be done on the iPhone X even without the home button. To close an app and go to the home screen, you simply have to swipe up from the extreme bottom. To bring up the multi tasking tray, you have to swipe up from the extreme bottom and pause for less than a second midway. This brings up the multi tasking tray and you can quit the active applications. To call Siri, you can either use the ‘Hey Siri’ call or long press the power button. We aren’t sure how this differentiates from holding the power button to switch off the iPhone yet. The most notable omission is the touch ID, which has been discontinued from this model of the iPhone.
- Face ID – Face ID is the next big thing in the iPhone. Even with the all screen display, the front of the phone is packed with:
– Infrared Camera
– Flood illuminator
– Proximity Sensor
– Ambient Light Sensor
– Front Camera
– Dot projector
With all these, the phone will make a neural network of your face to recognize it. So it doesn’t matter whether you change your hairstyle, grow a beard or wear a hat, the phone will still recognize you. Even in no light, the camera can detect your face and unlock the iPhone X. This truly is an innovative feature of the iPhone and we can’t wait to try it. Just like with the touch ID, setting up a Face ID is easy and in some cases even fun.Apple has even made sure that the phone cannot be unlocked with photographs or even professionally made masks. It is that safe. And unless you are Jennifer Lawrence, there is no reason for you to have a professionally made face mask.
Apple did make sure though that if you have a twin sibling then the Face ID won’t be able to protect you.
We would also like Apple to answer what happens when we are sleeping, can someone just point the phone at our faces and will it unlock?
- Animoji – Apple introduced the animoji with the iPhone X. These are animated emojis. You can record your face’s reaction into an emoji to make it an animoji. It would be fun to use them while chatting with your friends and family.
What were the other announcements at Apple’s event?
The Apple Watch Series 3
Tim Cook started the product announcements with the Apple Watch. He claimed that Apple Watch is now the number one watch in the world, beating the likes of Swiss luxury watches, Rolex and Omega. Tim Cook also stated that the Apple Watch has a customer satisfaction rate of a mind boggling 97%.
The heart rate monitor of the Apple Watch has been significantly improved. For instance, the Apple Watch will notify you about elevated heart beats when you are inactive. With this, the Apple Heart Study was announced. This will use data from the Apple Watch and study the rhythm of the heart and work with Stanford to provide you with a comprehensive study of your heart. Apple Heart Study will be available on the AppStore on September 19.
New Features of the Apple Watch Series 3
- Cellular Built-In – The big update is that it has cellular built in. This truly is putting the phone on your wrist. You can use your phone, messages, maps, and even music on just your phone. You can stream over 40 million songs from Apple music.
- A Newer Processor – With the new processor, this is 70% faster than the previous models. Siri is faster than ever.
- True Wireless – The WiFi and Bluetooth chip is now built in. The nano sim card was getting too big for the watch so instead, it uses an electronic sim card that is a fraction of the nano sim card.
- Screen as Antenna – The screen also acts as an antenna to connect. Other than the AirPods, a microphone and speaker are also included to communicate with the user.
The watch will be available to preorder from September 15. It will be available in the stores September 22 onwards.
Apple TV 4K.
4K, everything 4K. Even the interface is now in 4K. We can interact with Siri on the Apple TV. A10X fusion chip powers up the Apple TV 4K, which is the same as the iPad Pro.
New Features of the Apple TV 4K
- Apple is pairing up with big movie studios, to bring 4K movies to iTunes. This includes Netflix and Amazon Prime.
- You can now watch live sports game in 4K. The new tv app will also be available on iPhone and iPad.
- With this, we can share our photos directly on the big screen and view all your videos in 4K seamlessly.
The Apple TV 4K will be available to preorder from September 15. It will be available in the stores September 22 onwards.
Apple finally thought, if an all Apple user has to travel, they have to carry 3 different charging wires for their phone, their watch, and their AirPods. In case all of them run out of juice at the same time, they will literally need to pull off three different chargers. And that’s just ridiculous. So they introduced AirPower. A slightly larger wireless charging pad, so you can wirelessly charge your watch, your phone and even your AirPods with just one lightning port connector without any hassle!
When will the iPhone be available for sale?
Apple announced 3 new iPhones. The iPhone 8, 8 plus and the iPhone X (Pronounced as 10 not X).
iPhone 8 and 8 Plus will be available to pre-order on September 15 and will be in the stores from 22nd September onwards.
The iPhone X however, will be available for pre-order on October 27 and it will be in the stores on November 3rd.